10 Tips for Cleaning Your Car With Household Disinfectants.Parizzo Webmaster
With the pandemic still out and no chance of knowing when people would return to the former way of living, it’s essential, now more than ever, that Parizzo car owners ensure that their cars are as clean as possible.
And while there are tons of car washing outlets in Lagos, it won’t hurt to keep your cars sparkling and germ-free, especially if you look at certain factors such as your budget or nearness of the car washes to you.
With that in mind, here are ten safety tips to know when cleaning your cars from home with household disinfectants;
1. Always wear a pair of disposable or dishwashing gloves and a face mask before you begin the process.
2. If you use a face mask, ensure you wash or disinfect your hands before touching it to avoid contamination. While at it, make sure the face mask covers your mouth and nose adequately.
3. Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 25 seconds immediately after you clean your car. Washing your hands with soap will get rid of any contamination or germs your hands might have picked up from your car’s surfaces. If soap and water aren’t readily available, use a hand sanitiser with a minimum level of 60% alcohol.
4. Before cleaning your car, open the doors to ensure proper ventilation.
5. To achieve a thorough clean, remove the floor mats and vacuum them.
6. While your car is airing, we recommend that you vacuum the car seats and floors too.
7. The next step is to get your cleaning cloth, moisten it with household disinfectants such as soap and warm water or household detergents and begin to wipe.
8. After your car’s surfaces have been thoroughly cleaned and aired, return the floor mats into the car and close the doors.
9. Don’t forget to disinfect your car keys, especially if you share them with someone else. You don’t want to bring germs into your home.
10. Wash your cleaning cloth thoroughly and spread it in a clean environment to dry.
List of items to pack when you need to clean your car
For your protection, we recommend the following:
- A pair of disposable gloves.
- An apron (if you have one). If you don’t, you could don an old cloth that is disposable.
- A face mask that thoroughly covers your mouth and nose.
- A pair of safety goggles.
- A cleaning cloth to wipe your car.
Here’s a list of areas to clean when cleaning your car:
- Driver area
- Car keys
- Power button
- Steering wheel
- Accelerator and brake
- Car windscreen.
- The front of the car:
- Storage areas
- Heating controls
- Radio controls and screens
- Inner parts of the windscreen.
- Glove box compartment
- Cup holders
- Seats, doors & lights
- All seats and headrests (both drivers and passengers)
- Grab handles
- Interior lights
- Door handles, locks and window controls
- Seat belts and buckles
- The back of the car (Boot)
- Boot opener
- Buttons and handles in the boot
- Items in the boot
Other preventive methods we recommend that you take
- Be careful about the household cleaning products you use, as some could cause lasting damage to certain parts of your car.
- Use soapy water for leather seats and steering wheels.
- Do not excessively scrub when cleaning the interior of your car. Avoid excess soap suds as well.
- Do not disinfect your car with solutions containing bleach or hydrogen peroxide.
- Finally, always remember to check the instructions on disinfectants or household cleaning items to ensure their usage of car seats, plastics, touch screens or even paintworks.
A clean car improves the Parizzo carpooling experience for you and your co-riders. You can offer carpool rides to verified Parizzo Passengers on your route by registering on the Parizzo Car Owners App here.
Registration is online and it takes less than 30 minutes to be verified.